newlib math bug (fpclassify)

I've already posted this info to the newlib list along with a patch. Someone suggested I re-posting it here, since it affects development of scientific/mathematical software using Cygwin. Apologies if this is repeat information for anyone; this seemed to be a more appropriate forum than, say, cygwin-patches.

newlib contains a bug in its math libraries that causes fmax() and fmin() not to handle negative numbers properly. I presume several other math functions are affected, as well. Specifically, the __fpclassifyf and __fpclassifyd functions incorrectly report negative numbers as NaNs.

newlib 1.11.0 is affected; I presume prior versions are affected, as well. Version 1.3.22 of the Cygwin DLL is affected. The newlib cvsweb interface shows that the patch has been applied to the CVS tree.

Joe Vornehm