Re: example needed pls: `cygpath -c <HANDLE>'

Brian Dessent <brian@dessent.net> wrote around 01 Jul 2003
3F018D6C.EA1226CA@dessent.net:">news:3F018D6C.EA1226CA@dessent.net:

> Brian Dessent wrote:
>
>> Save this as a text file ending in .txt and then open it:
>
> I meant .REG not .TXT.. silly.
>
> Brian

That's OK: you are reaching an initiated person here (although goog to
correct the erratum for archival reasons).

I do have a puzzlement, sorry if it seems like I am not sufficiently
trustful (but anything having to do with making changes to my Windows
Registry sets off "max caution" alarms, as it of course should).

(Previously you wrote:)
> Replace your cygwin path as appropriate. Use "%1" instead of "%l" to
> get the short-filename version.  As written above, you'll get values
> such as "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio" copied to
> the clipboard, the space might be problematic.  With "%1" you get
> something like "/cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/MIAF9D~1".

Where does this distinction between the letter "%l" (that's percent-symbol
followed by alphabetic letter "L" in lowercase) and the string of tokens
"%1" (that's percent-1, numeral "one" symbol), come from? Is this some
in(f|t)ernal MS Windows Registry thing? ;-)

>> -----
>> REGEDIT4
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\CygPath]
>> @="&Copy Cygwin Path"
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\CygPath\Command]
>> @="c:\\cygwin\\bin\\bash -c \"echo -n `/bin/cygpath -u
>> '%l'`>/dev/clipboard\""
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\CygPath]
>> @="&Copy Cygwin path"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\CygPath\command]
>> @="c:\\cygwin\\bin\\bash -c \"echo -n `/bin/cygpath -u
>> '%l'`>/dev/clipboard\"" -----

Much appreciated.
  Soren A.

--
"So, tell me, my little one-eyed one, on what poor, pitiful,
defenseless planet has my MONSTROSITY been unleashed?"