Re: Determining the location of a Cygwin installation

On 26 Mar, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>  Let me describe a problem scenerio (real world).
>
>  You have a bunch of people in your domain who rely on Cygwin but who do
>  not always keep up with the latest. Indeed often they are way behind.
>  These people do not bother to add Cygwin's bin directory to their PATH
>  either. A problem crops up and they call you. So you investigate and
>  think that perhaps updating their Cygwin to a relatively recent version
>  would correct their problem. So you do that. Then you think "Gee,
>  wouldn't it be nice if I could keep everybody's Cygwin up to some
>  relatively recent (and stable) version..." and you attempt to scriptize
>  this. The first road block you hit is trying to determine where the user
>  installed Cygwin - some in C:\Cygwin, others in D:\Cygwin and still
>  others in some other odd path. Now what do you to?
>
>  (Of course, going hand in hand with this would be a command line driven
>  setup.exe but perhaps we shouldn't go there just yet...)

Sorry for jumping in late.

Basically that's what I've set up here.  We rsync one of the mirror
sites locally, so anyone can easily update.

We have a .bat script to run setup and the local post-install script
for lots of extra tailoring.  Much of this can also be found at my
personal web page:
http://members.optushome.com.au/lukekendall/xwin-network.html

Yes, to sort out the cygwin path you'd have to run a registry examining
command line tool (and yes, I think that running regtool off a server on
your local network that has Cygwin installed should do the trick).  I
must admit I haven't bothered with that.  My approach was to integrate
the installation of Cygwin into the setup of a new PC when it's
configured by SysAdmin.  They know to restrict their choices to either
C:\cygwin or D:\cygwin.

I also modify our startx.bat script to hard-wire in the correct
location during our post-install stuff.

luke