Re: top is gone

Hi Fred,

Try running "cygcheck -svr | grep procps" and if it gives you nothing, that means that top is not installed.  By the way, you may
want click the "Packages" link under http://cygwin.com and try to look for the utility you're missing.  For example, you may type
"top.exe"  (without the double-quotes, of course) at the search box.    I got these results:

Found 4 matches for top.exe.

 procps/procps-010801-1 Utilities for monitoring your system and processes on your system.
 procps/procps-010801-2 Utilities for monitoring your system and processes on your system.
 proftpd/proftpd-1.2.9rc1-2 A flexible, stable and highly-configurable FTP Server
 proftpd/proftpd-20030513-2 A flexible, stable and highly-configurable FTP Server

> But the missing "top" was strange enough that I
> wiped out the entire c:\cygwin tree and reinstalled
> it from scratch.  Just to be safe.  For some reason,
> top is still unrecognized, even after "hash -r".
> There is no top in /usr/bin, and nothing in
> /usr/local/bin.  There is no top to select in the
> cygwin setup table.  There is no top command in
> the bash man page.  And there is no other posting
> about the missing top command in the mailing list
> archive.  A file search for top starting from
> c:\cygwin turns up nothing relevant.

It appears to me that top is not gone. It seems that it was not installed in the first place.  And FYI, you wouldn't find any hints
by reading the bash man page since the top is a different package from bash.

> What path is top suppose to be in?
It's supposed to be in /bin (if you installed it).

Best Regards,

Carlo
-----
Carlo Florendo