Re: Cygwin, mutt, Windows XP issues

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 12:26:13PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Sat, 24 May 2003, Peter Davis wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 04:39:01PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >
> > [snip]

> > > See suggestion above (write a short test case that uses the same code, and
> > > keep adding code from mutt to it until it stops working).  I doubt the
> > > part of mutt that checks the mailbox timestamps has anything to do with
> > > curses.
> >
> > No, I know the timestamps have nothing to do with curses, I'm just
> > wondering if I can debug in the same window where curses is repainting
> > the screen, etc.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > -pd
>
> Peter,
>
> FYI, if you debug an app in gdb, it will open a new console window in
> which the app itself would run, so you won't be debugging and running the
> app in the same window.  Simply set the breakpoint in the function that
> checks the timestamps, use mutt normally, and when it stops at the
> breakpoint, step through the code (you'll still need a debug version of
> mutt, though).

Well, I figured out how to build a debug mutt.  I just had to:

    ./configure --enable-debug

When I run from a bash shell, mutt *does* overwrite the same window,
making debugging difficult.

When I run gdb from in XEmacs, with source stepping, etc., it opens a
separate window which immediately exits.  It fails on a call to
initscr(), which may be a curses thing as far as I know.  I groping in
the dark here, since I haven't debugged a program on *nix in over a
decade, and Cygwin's not quite *nix anyway.  (Hey, that could be
another FSF project ... cnq*)

Thanks.  I'll keep stumbling around this.

-pd

--
--------
    Peter Davis                               Pageflex Inc