Re: Setup very slow after choosing packages

Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

> See <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-04/msg01150.html> and
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-04/msg01172.html>.  IOW, try a
> snapshot (from <http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/>).

Thanks, this is much better. The time necessary to process an installion
of "all" on an empty system fell from 10 minutes to 2 seconds!

I'm new to Cygwin, so I don't know who's in charge of these things, but
this seems to me to be such a great improvement that I don't understand
why the new version isn't the one normally used. I'm sure that many new
users simply conclude, after waiting several minutes, that the Setup
program isn't working and give up.

Even looking at the FAQ doesn't help, since it warns that this process
can take "a second or two", not ten minutes. Furthermore, the FAQ warns
that "snapshots are risky", which doesn't encourage new users to try
the latest version of Setup.

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca> | "Comrade Kim Il Sung was a genius
Ottawa, Canada                   | ideological theoretician and a genius