Re: [newbie] how to install cygwin by version? and fix breakage?

Qwer Zxcv wrote:
>> How can I install a new version of cygwin, such that

>> * my old version remains undisturbed, and can be used if needed

>> * the new version knows my old customizations (e.g. downloaded/
>>   installed packages, mounts, profile, bash settings)

Igor Pechtchanski replied:
> The Cygwin installation tool, setup.exe, caches the package tarballs
> that it downloads in a subdirectory of the local installation
> directory (the name is actually an RFC1738-encoded URL of the
> mirror).

Hmm ... so if I download from one mirror, and then go to a new one,
how does setup.exe find out about my current packages? (See below.)

> It never deletes any of the downloaded packages, so they are always
> available (unless you delete them yourself). The currently installed
> version and the previous version are almost always available.

This is good, but not quite what I want. I definitely want to be able
to roll back to the previous _installed_ version, but I don't really
need to be able to roll back to the previous downloads. (Note that I
do download from remote, then install from local.)

What I would like to be able to do is download new versions of all my
old packages. So, for example, suppose I have

/d/cygwin/download/1
/d/cygwin/install/1

I continue to download and install optional packages (e.g. emacs,
perl, wget) until my cygwin has gotten "too old" (i.e. setup.exe
complains). At that point I'd like to be able to

* md (in windows)

/d/cygwin/download/2
/d/cygwin/install/2

  (This I know how to do :-)

? copy /d/cygwin/download/1/mungedMirrorURL/setup.ini to ... where?

  If you could let me know how that should be done, I'd appreciate it.
  Note that all I'm trying to avoid, in this step, redoing the work of
  finding packages that do what I want, and then finding where in
  the setup categories they live.

* download updated packages to /d/cygwin/download/2
* install brand-new cygwin to /d/cygwin/install/2

  (also known)

? twiddle cygwin, windows, et al so as to transfer customizations from
  install/1 to install/2

  (another research problem)

Thanks for your assistance, and good luck with your defense!