Re: setup problems on NT 4.0 and Win2000?

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Anoq of the Sun wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have tried installing Cygwin on a Windows NT 4.0 and a Windows 2000
> machine without success, even though it installed fine on a Windows XP
> machine.
>
> It seems to run the installation for a while and then go into an infinite
> loop - usually when installing a text-file of some package, such as
> a Licence, README or Changes file (on Windows 2000 it happened on some
> file with a .m4 extension though and I'm not quite sure what those
> files are supposed to contain). If I try selecting "skip" for some
> of the offending packages the problem just seems to come up at
> another package. I even tried installing just the base packages,
> but still no gain.
>
> I also tried selecting both DOS and UNIX textmodes during setup.
>
> However one thing should be noted:
> The Windows XP machine where it installed fine was the machine
> where I downloaded everything on, and Cygwin was installed
> from the directory where it was downloaded to. The NT and 2000
> installations was from a second machine where I tried installing
> both over the network from the XP-machine and tried copying the
> files locally to the NT/2000 machine. I hope that I'm supposed
> to be able to copy the installation directory around like this,
> since it seems a little silly to have to download it for
> every machine on a local network :) (and in fact I only have
> Internet access from the XP machine, so I can't even download
> it on the other machine).
>
> And some random speculations on what the problem might be:
> (without ever having seen the Cygwin source though :)
>
> I have been unfortunate enough to have to gain
> the experience that there IS actually a difference in how
> Windows NT and Windows 2000 converts the CR / LF characters
> when writing files in textmode! I don't know if Windows XP has
> yet a third way of converting this. And seeing that this problem
> seems to be on textfiles, it's just a guess of where the problem
> might be... So yes, when writing to a textmode stream in C with
> functions like fprintf, fwrite etc. and you are writing certain
> things containing \n, \10 or \13 there IS a difference between
> what is actually written to the textfile!
> As far as I remember it occurs at least when writing either
> \13\10 or \10\13 for the output stream function. E.g.
>
> fprintf(stream, "Hello World\10\13");
>
> might not produce the same output to stream...
>
> If the file is opened in binary mode this should not
> happen of course.
>
> Does anyone have any clue as to what might cause this problem?
> Cheers

Does the log file get produced (look in /var/log/setup.log and
/var/log/setup.log.full).  If either of them mentions your latest install
(the one that hung), please attach the relevant sections (gzipped).  If
not, what are the symptoms of the hang?  Does the "Cancel" button work?

This is obviously not reproducible by most people here, so you may have to
debug this yourself.  Can you reproduce the hang on the debugging snapshot
of setup (available at <http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/>)?  If so, you
might try attaching to the hung process with gdb and getting a backtrace
(of all threads): "info threads" to get their numbers, then "thread #"
(where "#" is the thread number, e.g., 1), then "where".  Then post the
output here...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II