Re: H.T.M.L. (RE: Getting home directory in Windows 2000 environment)

news at garydjones dot mailshell dot com wrote:

I have kept up - I just don't buy his reasoning. I can as easily say we should post in HTML for the reasons outlined by Randall Schultz but you don't buy that.

Because Randy has failed to provide any facts. Hannu's reasons are factual (i.e. html /is/ bigger than plain text, which is a burden for everyone who uses slow connections, and /can/ expose security holes in poor software). Randy says 'html is fine because it can look cool'. Yippee.

Then you just haven't read nor understood Randy's writting. And no you don't have a very good argument either with the bandwidth thing, especially if one takes a quick look at all the waste prevelent here with additional needless quoting and diatrabes about silly otters.

Sorry, I took the statement (the "we should all post in jpegs) to mean that we should replace any text with a jpeg image of the text.

The point is that html does not replace the text, it merely duplicates it.

Huh? A fragement of html might include <b>this is bold text</b>. This does not duplicate any text! It merely adds 7 characters!

One could do the same with a multipart email which contains a jpeg, png, bitmap or whatever, which does the same job. Pretty dumb, huh?

Yes your statement is pretty dumb. Sometimes a picture is just a lot better of a way to describe something - sometimes it isn't. What's your point?

I would say that in a time when webspace can be free, even posting a jpeg is pretty rude since it would be easier to upload it to webspace and post a link. However not everyone has web access. Shocking, isn't it?

There have been many, many times I've been pointed to a web page only to find that the URL is incorrect or moved, deleted or the wrong thing. Not everybody has web space! Shocking isn't it! And how is bandwidth conserved if the images is gonna come down your internet connection anyway?!? Not everybody needs to download it you say? That's, again, one of the many reasons why I think mailing lists are bad and newsgroups better.

that is just easier to show visually than to have to describe in words.

Which can be done with plain text, which was exactly what I was getting at.

Which part of "just easier to show visually than to have to describe in words" are you having difficulty understanding?

If he expects to be believed then he should be able to offer proof to back up his theory.

And Hannu has made his assertions too without any posted proof either.

That is because the proof for at least some of his assertions exist in the mail that sparked Hannu's complaint (size).

It's not proof - it's his opinion.

I am reminded of that Gary Larson cartoon "What we say... what dogs hear" :) You're not recommending video conferencing are you? It would do a much better job than html after all...

If the situation warrants is then yes I would recommend it. What would you do? Recommend a substandard solution to the problem?

My point was these "minimulists" who state that ASCII text is all that is needed should practice what they preach by using monitors in only black and white!

For the purposes of reading and writing email, I can assure you that only green and black are in use here. Would it bother me to do this on a "dumb terminal" with only b&w or g&b? Nope. Nor to do most of the other things I do with this computer. There are some tasks which absolutely require the use of colours (editing colour images for example), but this simply isn't one of them.

You're very close minded. I assume then since you are probably not a graphic artist, you have only a black and white monitor (OK green and black)?

No nucelar weapons? No need to worry about the ozone layer or anything similar? Only one TV channel to choose from? Sounds fine to me. I might even get out and do more climbing.

OK, have fun in your minimalist existance. Just let others have their own opinions and live their own lifes OK?

there probably are those less fortunate out there that only have ASCII terminals running in DOS with 640K. Shouldn't we be polite and accomidate for the LCD?

Yes. (Since you asked.) The lowest common denominator is plain text.

Ah so you're one of those LCD people.

Obviously Cygwin itself cannot run without Windows. Personally, yes, I think an equivalent which runs in DOS, or anything else, is also a great objective. Let me put my opinion on this another way - shouldn't Cygwin stop supporting that ancient Windows 9x sh*te, because after all then the full security features of NT could be used, there would be no problems because ofincompatabilitites between 9x and NT-type systems (e.g. the mutt dotlock issue), etc?

So why then are your running Windows?

However I think most hear would agree that that is ludicrous in that that sets the bar just way too low.

Why? The more people able to take part in a discussion the better AFAIAC.

You just don't get it do you?

News is over twenty years old, they probably think this should be done entirely on the web.

Just because news is old does not mean it's not the better tool for the job.