Re: Problems with net use statement via sshd on cygwin

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I installed cygwin on a Win2K machine and then configured sshd (after
> > > including it in the install) ...
> > >
> > > However, if I do:
> > >
> > >  ssh administrator at calpc12 net use f: \\\\\\\\10.0.1.5\\\\test \
> > >         /user:tigerteam\\\\rsharpe <somepasswd>
> > >
> > > (Yes, I know there are ways around all those backslashes), it appears to
> > > succeed, but the share is listed as unavailable in Windows, and I cannot
> > > access it via 'dir f:' for example.
> > >
> > > The drive letter f: did not have any thing mapped to it before the ssh
> > > command above.
> > >
> > > Has anyone seen this? Is there any explanation?
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Richard Sharpe
> >
> > Richard,
> >
> > AFAIK, "net use" requires interaction with the desktop.  If the "Allow
> > service to interact with the desktop" box is unchecked for your sshd
> > service, "net use" will not succeed.
> >
> > Does the event log contain any messages?
>
> Nothing useful ...
>
> > Try allowing the interaction with the desktop for the sshd service and
> > running the command again.  Let the list know if it works.
>
> That didn't work for me ... bummer. I was hoping to be able to switch
> where drives a pointed to from a UNIX machine ...
>
> Regards
> Richard Sharpe

Richard,

Can you access the share itself through a UNC pathname?
Is it a Samba share?  What is the output of a simple "net use"?
FWIW, I've just tried to access a Samba share from an ssh session, with no
luck...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II