Re: vim quits and cygwin window contents not restored

Randall R Schulz wrote:

Can I trouble you to explain why your termcap replaces something so different in the existing /etc/termcap file:

cygwin:\
    :xn@:op=\E[39;49m:Km=\E[M:te=\E[2J\E[?47l\E8:ti=\E7\E[?47h:tc=linux:

I understand that this entry incrementally modifies the "linux" entry. Your new one does not? You just decided to sever the connection? There's too much difference to handle this way? It was a bad idea for some reason?

No, it's just that the existing termcap is very very different in structure from the existing terminfo entry for cygwin. Now, if you work thru all of the dependencies, you might end up with the same thing; I dunno.

But, the terminfo entry is a straight "specify everything, no backrefs to other terminals". So, if you tic -C it, you get a "specify everything, no backrefs" termcap entry. As to WHY the existing termcap entry references linux but the terminfo one does not, your guess is as good as mine. Historical, perhaps?

IMO, "specify everything" is the right way to go here. cygwin is not linux. cygwin is not xterm. cygwin is cygwin, with all of its own very special quirks...

--Chuck