RE: Big Brother is Real

Günter,

That first remark of mine was meant facetiously, of course. SP3 does more than just open a privacy hole (I assume).

My guess (nope, I haven't done the research--I had my child-like naivete destroyed by Igor's URL just today!) is that it's during system update that you're going to be probed, but that's just a hunch.

It seems likely that were you to successfully configure a firewall to prevent this system probing, you'd also prevent other more desirable activity or would simply cause Windows to refuse to function.

Anyway, I shouldn't indulge in this kind of guesswork in public.

WinXPNews (<http://www.winxpnews.com/>) seems to be a good source for this sort of information. If (and when) I really want to know, I'll probably start there. And Google, of course.

Good luck. Don't let the bedbugs bite!

Randall Schulz