Re: Determining the location of a Cygwin installation

Marcel Telka wrote:

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 12:23:31PM -0800, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

Elfyn McBratney wrote:

But as cgf (the Really Cool Manager) said the registry keys are not to be relied on as they might not be there forever.

Yeah but what I'm saying is that there should be a commitment to at least one registry entry which denotes the [active] installation path of

This goal could be reached by adding the directory into the PATH. If this is not done be default using setup.exe (which is not), then you could add it by hand... I don't see any problem with this.

Let me describe a problem scenerio (real world).

You have a bunch of people in your domain who rely on Cygwin but who do not always keep up with the latest. Indeed often they are way behind. These people do not bother to add Cygwin's bin directory to their PATH either. A problem crops up and they call you. So you investigate and think that perhaps updating their Cygwin to a relatively recent version would correct their problem. So you do that. Then you think "Gee, wouldn't it be nice if I could keep everybody's Cygwin up to some relatively recent (and stable) version..." and you attempt to scriptize this. The first road block you hit is trying to determine where the user installed Cygwin - some in C:\Cygwin, others in D:\Cygwin and still others in some other odd path. Now what do you to?

(Of course, going hand in hand with this would be a command line driven setup.exe but perhaps we shouldn't go there just yet...)