Re: 1.1.23: configure doesn't find header files when it looks for them; builds fail

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Vincent Sacksteder wrote:

> Dear cygwin community:
>
>         Thank you for providing this software.  It's been a huge help to me
> already.
>
>         In the last couple of days I've tried to download and build a couple of
> projects, and ran into problems with configure:
>         -When compiling ddd, configure checks whether streampos is defined, and if
> it is not defined then the ddd header files #define streampos.  However,
> configure incorrectly did not find streampos in the legacy gcc libraries,
> and therefore defined it, resulting in a compile error stating basically
> that streampos had been defined twice.  So I had to comment out the
> definition myself.
>         -When compiling mono, there are checks for the presence of gc.h.  These
> fail (even though gc.h has already been installed as part of the script, and
> gc.h is in fact present), and therefore the compile fails.  It looks to me
> like this problem has been seen by other mono users, as the build/install
> readme for mono says that install failures have been seen at this stage and
> discusses how to do the install manually.
>
>         Is this a known bug, or can anybody suggest a fix?
>
> More data:
>         From mono's config.log file,  configure ran gcc:
> configure:6530:
> gcc -mno-cygwin -E  -I/home/install/include -DGC_WIN32_THREADS -DWIN32_THREA
> DS conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
>
> for ddd, here's the script:
> AC_MSG_CHECKING(for streampos)
> changequote([,])dnl
> AC_CACHE_VAL(ice_cv_have_streampos,
> [
> AC_LANG_SAVE
> AC_LANG_CPLUSPLUS
> AC_TRY_COMPILE([#include <iostream.h>],
> [streampos scan_start;],
> ice_cv_have_streampos=yes,
> ice_cv_have_streampos=no)
> AC_LANG_RESTORE
> ])
> AC_MSG_RESULT($ice_cv_have_streampos)
> if test "$ice_cv_have_streampos" = yes; then
> AC_DEFINE(HAVE_STREAMPOS)
> fi
> ])dnl
>
>         Unfortunately it appears that conftest.c is generated and deleted
> dynamically, so I guess one would need to look in configure's source code to
> see how to create a conftest.c and then test it out.
>
> Attached fiind the result of cygcheck:
>
>         Thanks,
>                 Vincent Sacksteder
>
> ----------------------
> AC_CHECK_HEADERS

Vincent,

config.log should also contain the failed program itself.  Try passing a
--verbose option to configure.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune