RE: >/dev/stderr broken in /bin/sh?, makewhatis unhappy, & apropos confused, or just me?

> From: Igor Pechtchanski [mailto:pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu]
>
> On Linux, /bin/sh == bash.
----
	On my system, at least, it's not dependant on bash -- they
show up as softlinks to /proc/self/fd/{0|1|2}.

> > Maybe Cygwin should be renamed "CyNUX": "Cygwin is Not
> > Unix or Linux"? :-)
>
> Pronounced "cynics"? ;-)
---
	:-)

> Not necessarily.  On my system, I don't have a space in either my home
> directory or in $TMP.  Remember, your %HOMEPATH% on Windows
> != your $HOME
> in Cygwin unless you make it so.
---
	Hey...some of us can only afford 1 home...others, they got their
home in the wincity and the cyg-country....or is.

> If you're interested in fixing the quoting in makewhatis (and other
> scripts), I have a few coding tricks that allow for proper
> quoting that I could share.
---
	Haven't even looked at the bug, 99 times out of 100 they
are really straightforward things like 'cd $home/man' => 'cd "$home/man"'
But quoting tricks are always useful to know -- sometimes ...oh the
headaches of trying to trying to get quoted strings placed inside of
variables that are themselves in a quoted eval...

> > > Don't know about the apropos bit...
> > >       Igor
> > ---
> >         So I take it that it doesn't give bogus output on
> your system...
> > it's probably some file munged on my system somewhere...I'm alwayws
> > messing something up ... always using things in ways they were
> > never "intended" to be used...
>
> It could be that I don't have certain manpages installed, as
> my apropos
> returns simply "options: nothing appropriate"...
---
	Very odd.....I have....oh weird. I have:
ExtUtils::Mksymlists (3) - write linker options files for dynamic extension
ExtUtils::Mksymlists (3pm) - write linker options files for dynamic extension
Getopt::Long (3)     - Extended processing of command line options
Getopt::Long (3pm)   - Extended processing of command line options
SYNOPSIS ps [options] DESCRIPTION ps gives a snapshot of the current processes
cbreak, nocbreak, echo, noecho, halfdelay, intrflush, keypad, meta, nodelay, n
clearok, idlok, idcok immedok, leaveok, setscrreg, wsetscrreg, scrollok, nl, n
form_field_opts (3x) - set and get field options
form_opts (3x)       - set and get form options
getopt               (1)  - parse command options (enhanced)
getopt (1)           - parse command options (enhanced)
grog                 (1)  - guess options for groff command
grog (1)             - guess options for groff command
hosts_options        (5)  - host access control language extensions
hosts_options (5)    - host access control language extensions
menu_opts (3x)       - set and get menu options
mitem_opts (3x)      - set and get menu item options
popt (3)             - Parse command line options

	but
law> man popt
No manual entry for popt
law> man mitem_opts
No manual entry for mitem_opts

	most aren't there...except for getop and 'ps'...it was my ps manage
that looks like it has the screwy apropos manpage.   Doing a 'man' of ps
seems to work fine though.  I thought apropos/makewhatis got its information
from the man pages....hmmmm...somethin' screwy here....

Linda