RE: Why is gcc 3.2 prerelease?

>On Wednesday, March 5, 2003 at 10:24:55, Bruce Adams wrote: [...]
>> The reason I ask is that I need to use gcc 3.0 for its
>> better ISO C++ compliance and STL but I'm having a lot of problems
>> with programs compiling (and linting) perfectly but crashing
>when run.
>
>I am compiling a project with ~26k LOCs and all problems
>showing up when switching to gcc-3.2*/cygwin were actually
>home-grown, but did not show up earlier on other systems /
>gcc-2.95.2, i.e. uninitialized memory read, order of static
>global constructor calls, accessing freed memory! C++ is full
>of traps ... ;/
>
>Purify did a good job in finding most of them, too bad that
>there are no nice GNU equivalent.
>
>Robert

I agree with you on both points but I'm talking about really simple programs
here.  There isn't any dynamic memory allocation at all.
For example see my previous post
"Exception: STATUS_PRIVILEGED_INSTRUCTION occurs before main is executed."

If you can find a C++ issue with that I'd like to know about it.
Of course that one could be down to needing a magic switch on gcc that I
don't know about.
I'll post an example with the destructor problem shortly and you can debug
it
for me if you like :-).  I would love it to be a newbie error that I let
creep
in.

Regards,
	  Bruce A.

 Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not
 necessarily those of Tyco Safety Products.

 Any prices for the supply of goods or services are only valid if supported
 by a formal written quotation.

 This e-mail and any files transmitted with it, including replies and
 forwarded copies (which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted
 from Tyco Saftey Products are confidential and solely for the use
 of the intended recipient.

 If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
 delivery to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
 e-mail in error and that any use is strictly prohibited.  In this event,
 please notify us via e-mail at 'helpdesk dot tepg at tycoint dot com' or telephone on
 0121 255 6499 and then delete the e-mail and any copies of it.