Re: Distributing .ISO files.

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 03:19:28PM -0800, d dot williams at k7 dot net wrote:
>I would like to post an .ISO file I compiled for myself to my website,
>making it available to anyone who wants it.  It is a snapshot of the
>full distribution (less sources) from one of the mirror sites, to allow
>for installation on
>1.  systems that are not connected to the internet
>2.  systems that have slower (dial-up) internet connections
>
>I want to make sure that this will not be in violation of any licence
>agreements.  If needs be, I can also put together a source code .ISO
>file.
>
>My intention is to maintain, at least, bi-annual updates.  I would also
>seek to link the ISO distribution to the www.linuxiso.com site.
>
>If this would be in violation of any licenses or agreements, please let
>me know.

For crying out loud.  How often do we have to say this?

Cygwin is GPLed.  Most of the software in the Cygwin distribution is
GPLed.  If you aren't providing sources in compliance with the GPL and
the various other licenses in the distribution, then, yes, Virginia,
there is a license violation.

cgf
(who still wonders how the availability of a ISO image would be seen
as a win for a slow internet connection)