Re: no installation instructions except in FAQ?

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Daniel B. wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Daniel B. wrote:
> >
> > > On the documentation page at http://cygwin.com/docs.html, there no
> > > mention of installation instructions.  It's not obvious that they are
> > > hidden in the FAQ list.
> > >
> > > Which is the right mailing to use to suggest to the documentation
> > > developers that the installation instructions be pulled into an
> > > installation guide?
> >
> > Daniel,
> >
> > This is the right place.  If you feel that documentation is lacking,
>
> What did I say was lacking?  I said something was hidden (because it's in
> the wrong place).  That is, the effort already spent to write it is not
> being used to maximum benefit.
>
> > write the appropriate sections ...
> >
> > "Patches thoughtfully considered"^{TM}
>
> Are you trying to say that you don't consider constructive feedback about
> problems unless it comes with a complete fix?
>
> (I thought http://cygwin.com/bugs.html says "Bug reports without solutions
> are also welcome.")

Daniel,

Did I say your report was unwelcome?  The above comment was just in case
you were interested in off-loading some work from the Cygwin team...  In
an ideal world, a complete fix would be nice, but your feedback is
certainly appreciated.  I'm reasonably sure someone will take your
feedback to mind and update the docs (at some point).

As for me "considering" anything, I don't have the power to make the
decisions here...  I'm sorry if I conveyed that impression. :-)
	Igor
P.S. You said the instructions were "lacking exposure". ;-)
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune