Re: Setup "Download from Internet" Question

David,

At 13:51 2003-02-27, David Starks-Browning wrote:
On Thursday 27 Feb 03, BB writes:
> As a followup question, In order to create a CD to install from, would it be
> better to simply ftp the files from one of the mirror sites.

Yes.

> What would the correct directory structure have to be for setup to install from
> the d:\cygwin-setup as a local source assuming d: was a cd? Would this be
> enough?
>
> d:\setup.exe
> d:\cygwin-setup\setup.ini
> d:\cygwin-setup\release\...

Yes, if what you mean to convey is that you follow the full
sub-directory structure under release.

The tricky part is providing setup.exe with the right "download path"
to get setup to pull things from the CD.  Unless someone chimes in
with the right answer,  you might have to experiment a bit.

Someone already has.

First of all, there's Michael Chase's utilities that you can get from <http://home.ix.netcom.com/~mchase/zip/index.html>.

Secondly, ignorant at the time of the capabilities of those Perl scripts, I wrote a shell script that takes a Cygwin mirror name (scheme plus host name plus directory) and produces a shell script that will use wget to perform a bulk download.

I'm not really familiar with Michael's scripts capabilities, but I know my shell scripts deals with the naming conventions used by the Setup and the Cygwin mirrors. My scripts can be found in one of my postings to cygwin at cygwin dot com under the subject "Re: setup.exe joblist for downloading" posted on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 at 23:53:22 -0800.

Randall Schulz

Regards,
David