size limit for static arrays in cygwin/gcc

:Danny Smith  wrote
By default stack reserve is set to 2MB by ld.exe.  Try setting stack reserve
higher, eg,
 -Wl,--stack=0x2000000
will get you 32MB stack reserve
-------------------------------------

Thanks.  That was a revelation.  I thought stack was for pointers and
automatic variables, and a big stack was needed only for deep recursion.  So
the trick of increasing the stack, which works for g77, does not simply
displace a bug to another part of memory.  f2c still doesn't work for large
arrays, even setting -Wl in CFLAGS, but maybe CFLAGS is not passed through
the shell script used with f2c to emulate f77.  I'll have to look at that
sometime, but g77 will serve for now.  I've had no problem using f2c for
large arrays on a unix system.

Running fortran used to be simpler.  You just had to remember to drop in the
compiler deck first, the data deck last.