Re: [Problem] mempcpy is missing? (FAQ alert)

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 08:22:49PM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>
>>> As you have discovered, mempcpy is not provided.  If a configure
>>> script detects it, the configure script is broken.
>>
>> As he said, his configure script correctly decides #undef
>> HAVE_MEMPCPY
>>
>> But then the source tries to define its own replacement mempcpy -
>> but it can't, because that clashes with Cygwin's headers. So this
>> really is Cygwin's fault.
>
> Um.  This is not the first time something like this has come up.  And
> it won't be the last.  There are a number of things in newlib that
> are not exported by cygwin.  The definition of mempcpy has apparently
> been in the header since July of 2002.
>
> It is trivial to export the function or protect the header but that is
> besides the point.  The whole point of systems like configure is to
> provide pain-free ways to work around system quirks.  So the best fix
> is to modify the libintl source so that this isn't a problem for older
> versions of cygwin (which we obviously can't fix retroactively) or
> other hypothetical systems out there which may have similar problems.

Yes, in an ideal world, configure would deal with this - but unless you have
a better idea, the only way I can think of dealing with it is to copy the
problem header to the compilation directory, parse out the problem
declaration somehow, and modify the compiler invocations with an
additional -I option. Messy and fragile. So, when fixing the problem is
orders of magnitude easier than making a workaround, it's easy to see which
will happen! :-)

Max.