jar.exe (part of Gcc) crash if started from non-cygwin shell

Jar.exe (now part of GCC!) crashes on *some* jar files, if it's started from a non-cygwin shell (e.g. CMD).

Don't think it's a problem in jar per se, however. It works if it's started from another cygwin program (even "env"). And it works on many jar files (including all the Jars shipped with JDK 1.4.1), but crashes on *some* jars produced by that self-same JDK.

All latest bits as of this morning.

Cygcheck -s shows:

gcc 3.2-3
cygwin 1.3.19-1

OS is WinXP Pro SP1.

My CYGWIN environment variable is not set at all. However, this crash happens even if I do set it (I've tried different settings, including "tty", "tty ntsec" and "ntsec").

I can include a sample jar file that crashes jar.exe, but am not sure if I should attach it to this mail, or in what format..

PS It was a bit of a surprise finding jar.exe part of GCC now. In fact, I only ran into this because I have Cygwin in my PATH before the JDK; so I have a simple workaround anyway (fix the $PATH, or remove jar.exe :-)).

--
Shankar.