COM port setup

Hi,

I'm hoping you could help me. I'm using CYGWIN to run some SMS tools and
the tools config files need setting up to add the details of which com port
I'm using. Basically I just need to know how I would go about creating the
com4 object in /dev so that it does actually point at the com port as when
installed, CYGWIN came with no /dev or any example of how I would setup the
com object.

Any help appreciated

Paul.