Re: xinted rsync bluescreen

Dan,

Sorry. I'm obviously confused. (Did a Windows 98 user report a similar problem recently?)

But surely in a fully protected OS such as 2K, a user-level DLL such as Cygwin cannot either directly or indirectly cause a blue-screen. Well, I suppose "cause" is open to interpretation, especially in conjunction with "indirectly," but without a doubt, Cygwin cannot be _blamed_ for a BSOD, right?

Anyway, here's a possible clue: The "Windows 2000 Pro Resource Kit" (book), on page 1539-1540, mentions both "buggy device driver" and "[buggy] system service" as potential culprits in an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD. I'm not sure how a service could do this, but perhaps it suggests a way to proceed in diagnosing the problem.

The virtual address of the code generating the fault, 8045505d, is, according to "Inside Microsoft Windows 2000" 3rd. ed., in the range of addresses reserved to "Kernel and executive; HAL and Boot drivers."

Frankly, I'm out of my depth already.

Randall Schulz