Re: bash 2.05b-8 doesnot execute .bashrc even if HOME is defined and .bashrc is under both ~/ and /

--- Max Bowsher <maxb@ukf.net> wrote:
> Original Message From: "Tianming Kong"
> <tmkong@yahoo.com>
> > I'm using cygwin v1.3.18 under Windows XP
> > Professional. Unfortunately bash 2.05b-8 does not
> > exectute my startup script ~/.bashrc
> >
> > I defined environement variable HOME as "d:\"
> using
> > windows control panel. I also copy my .bashrc file
> > cygwin / directory.
>
> Why / ? Bash certainly doesn't look there. I suggest
> that you make sure that
> HOME in the environment and your home dir in
> /etc/passwd are consistent, and
> that .bashrc is located in that directory.
>
> Max.

I remember reading from some previous email, saying
that if bash cannot find HOME environment variables
from everywhere else (like Windows Environment
variables, /etc/profile, /etc/passwd, etc.), then it
will try /.

I didn't set home dir in /etc/passwd -- actually I
didn't set any user entry there. Do you think this
caused the problem? Previously when I was using an
older version cygwin 1.3.10 and bash 2.05a(3), it
worked perfectly fine.

-Tim