Re: Re: help for compiling problem!

>>As a follow up to this, and the earlier thread regarding icmp (which
>>presumably is resolved in the same way), would it not be "better" to add
>>support for the icmp function and setlinebuf to cygwin?
>
> What are you suggesting?  That there should be an eager team of
> engineers standing by waiting for requests for unimplemented features?
> That sort of pushes all of the responsibility off onto cygwin.
[...snip...]
> Cygwin is different since it is open source and development moves faster
> than something like HP/UX, however, the logic of sending linker errors
> to a mailing list and waiting days for someone to respond, escapes me.

Sorry to have caused confusion.  It wasn't my intention to p.o. any cygwin
developers (you'll note that I was not the author of the original post,
only the author of the subsequent reply).

> When you port software to new systems, you often have to tweak the
> software to accommodate the new system.

I do not dispute that.  However my response was coming from the
perspective of a developer who uses cygwin tools to get things done,
rather than as a *nix developer porting code to run under cygwin, or a
cygwin developer maintaining or extending cygwin.  You weren't necessarily
to know this of course!

> Also, if *you* want functionality, *you* can add it.

That's actually what I had in mind.  I was never going to suggest anyone
else would implement it :-)

> I wouldn't be surprised to see someone offer setlinebuf now.  That's what
> new cygwin releases are for.
[...]
> In this case, I happen to know that working around the problem is
> trivial.  It should be so trivial that a few minutes inspection of a man
> page is all that is required.

Ok, bad example.  I apologise.

> For icmp functionality, we obviously use whatever Windows provides.
> I have no idea if it is possible to implement.

I know that icmp is non-trivial in Windows, but your reply suggests it
isn't provided in cygwin.  I'll look into this.