RE: Repost, different list...File::Spec, Cygwin, Syntactic vs. Semantic path analysis

====
	Most programs seem to recognize this convention, for example, "notepad.exe",  "win32-GVIM", Adobe Acrobat, vbs scripts.

	Do you know of any programs that don't behave this way?

> As cygwin doesn't use it, i:foobar and i:/foobar is always the same.
---
	Always?  Like when 'foobar' = '*'?

law> echo z:*
z:*
law> echo z:/*
z:/Content.IE5 z:/OLKAD7 z:/desktop.ini z:/foo z:/stardock_activedesktop.pdf z:/
which.txt

	IMO, this is "wrong" behavior:

1)
C:\>dir /a /b z:
foo.txt
foobar.txt
foobar.txt.000
stardock_activedesktop.pdf

C:\>ls z:
Content.IE5  OLKAD7  desktop.ini  foo  stardock_activedesktop.pdf

2) Take your pick -- if I launch bash from the above CMD.EXE -- bash
will ignore win32's curdir for Z:, but if then launch a win32 app like
Gvim, directly from bash and write a file "z:new", then when I exit gvim
and do an "ls z:" the file isn't there.  That's inconsistent with the underlying
OS's concept of a current dir/drive.  It's not just in 'cmd.exe' -- more likely
in USER.DLL or some such, which pretty much makes it a part of the OS.

law> /c/Program\ Files/Vim/vim61/gvim.exe (write out blank file to "z:new")
law> ls z:
Content.IE5/  OLKAD7/  desktop.ini  foo/  stardock_activedesktop.pdf  which.txt
law> ls z:foo
foo.txt     foobar.txt.000  new.000                     which.txt
foobar.txt  new             stardock_activedesktop.pdf
law>

	Do you think this is proper behavior?  Do you think a win32 person being
introduced to posix/gnu utils would find this beneficial?  Do you think
a linux person who uses some combination of cygwin and Win utils would find
this beneficial?

-l