Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: expect-20021218-1, gdb-20021218-1, tcltk-20021218-1

Christopher Faylor wrote:
If you want to change this policy, lobby in the insight mailing list.
The insight developers were the people who made the decision to munge
the library names.  However, the people who made the decision are
now long gone so maybe there will be no resistance to eliminating the
"cyg".
No, I don't want to eliminate the policy. Well, maybe -- as for all the other DLLs on cygwin, mebbe the DLL should be cyg*.dll but the import lib should remain no-cyg. That way, -lfoo doesn't need to be "changed" from its unixy normal value. But that's neither here nor there. The REAL problem is not that simple naming issue. The real problem is the lack of necessary include files.

If you think that tk header files are not getting properly installed,
That's correct. However, there are two paths to follow, and both are ugly.

1) add the necessary header files to the installed-header list, so that they get installed under $prefix. But that would put these additional tk header files in /usr/include/* (okay) and /usr/include/X11/ (not okay, on cygwin [*]).

2) Add special hacks so that the additional header files get installed *on cygwin* under a special subdirectory underneath $prefix -- e.g.
/usr/include/tk/ and /usr/include/tk/X11/. But then, end users must explicitly "activate" the extra headers by passing CFLAGS=-I/usr/include/tk. That's icky.

[*] the problem is, cygwin has decreed that /usr/include/X11/ belongs to REAL X11 programs. Not fake-o pseudo-X compatibility headers like the xpm-noX stuff and win32-tk.

Since #2 is so hackish -- but it at least obeys the cygwin prohibition on fake X items in the real X11 headerdir -- it seems like it's something that should be done post-build and not within the Makefile. But I don't really care, as long as it gets done. :-)

then inspect the Makefiles and suggest patches in the insight mailing
list.  As I said, I'm just doing a "make install" to install tclt/k.
I missed where you said you were doing a simple "make install". I thought you were munging it post-build. Oops.

I'm not comfortable with doing more than that or trying to second-guess
what is supposed to be installed.
Ok.

So, is the insight mailing list the "real" place where tcl and tk are developed, or is insight maintaining a fork?

--Chuck