Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: expect-20021218-1, gdb-20021218-1, tcltk-20021218-1

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 06:59:38PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>How have you managed to build cygwin in the past?  The rationale for
>>the name difference has been made clear before.  It is to make it clear
>>that these libraries are for modified cygwin versions of tcl/tk.  I'm
>>not really willing to arbitrarily change the convention now.
>
>But right now, there is no other version of tcl/tk available at all.

If you want to change this policy, lobby in the insight mailing list.
The insight developers were the people who made the decision to munge
the library names.  However, the people who made the decision are
now long gone so maybe there will be no resistance to eliminating the
"cyg".

>Nobody is trying to link against an X-based tcl/tk. [there was a
>discussion about this a year ago, but nothing ever came of it] We're
>talking about your non-X build.  To actually compile an application that
>uses *your* tk, one must *still* have the Xish tk headers available
>somewhere.

If you think that tk header files are not getting properly installed,
then inspect the Makefiles and suggest patches in the insight mailing
list.  As I said, I'm just doing a "make install" to install tclt/k.
I'm not comfortable with doing more than that or trying to second-guess
what is supposed to be installed.

cgf