Question about colors in "Window" and "Full Screen" modes

I'm using Windows XP Professional SP1 with all updates.

I also have this problem with plain "Command Prompt", though I
run all applications on Cygwin.

The colors in "Window" mode may be unreadable, while in "Full
Screen" mode they look like on a Linux console (much brighter).

Is there any way to have the same in "Window" mode ? I ask
because all colors are readable on Linux with rxvt, XTerm, or
any other terminal for the X Window System.

Is XFree86 for Cygwin the only fix ?

Thanks, and happy new year.

--
0@pervalidus.{net, {dyndns.}org}