Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: expect-20021218-1, gdb-20021218-1, tcltk-20021218-1

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 10:20:03AM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
>The final form of my (forthcoming) Cygwin Python _tkinter patch is
>dependent on the disposition of the following two issues:
>
>On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 06:33:18PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>>Anyway, it'd be nice(tm) if the tcltk binary package included the tk
>>header files under /usr/include/tk/ and /usr/include/tk/X11/.  See
>>http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/testing/tk-includes-8.3.tar.bz2
>>where the contents were taken from the tcltk -src archive.
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>If 8.3 is anything like 8.0, we need these symlinks in /usr/lib:
>>
>>libtcl8.3.a -> libcygtcl83.a libtk8.3.a -> libcygtk83.a
>
>Are you willing to repackage tcltk incorporating Chuck's suggestions?

How have you managed to build cygwin in the past?  The rationale for the
name difference has been made clear before.  It is to make it clear that
these libraries are for modified cygwin versions of tcl/tk.  I'm not
really willing to arbitrarily change the convention now.

However, if someone wants to submit a patch to the insight mailing list
that would be the appropriate way to deal with this.

Also, I don't have any intentions of changing anything in tcl/tk
packaging to try to accommodate a non-cygwin-released X11 version of
tcl/tk.  This is especially true since, AFAICT, moving tk header files
into /usr/include/tk would mean changing every package that tried to
use tcltk.

I guess, it is obvious that I'm really not extremely interested in new
packaging ideas for tcltk.  I'm releasing it so that insight and expect
can use it.  If someone else wants to take over packaging and go nuts
making it work with other packages, I'll happily hand over
mantainership.

cgf