serial port read failure

Hi There,

I've been compiling a simple application in both linux and cygwin. I hacked it from a GNU readline library application example: fileman.c

I added serial port device access (/dev/ttyS0) to this program via both stream i/o (fopen, putc, etc) and low level i/o (open, read, etc) both versions work when compiled under linux, neither work when compiled under cygwin.

I've stepped through my code using gdb --nw and find that the failures usually occur in the fgetc and read functions.

Sometimes I can single-step through these functions with success, but they never run successfully, at full speed, in cygwin.

I have a new full net install of cygwin: 1.3.17 including source, running on win2k pro.

Can someone please provide some simple working example of serial port device access?

Additionally I am not able to step into the newlib source. Any tips on getting gdb to step into the library function source would also be greatly appreciated. For example, If I'm on a source line of:
143 data = fgetc(port);
and enter a gdb command of:
(gdb) s
my last printf data is flushed from the output buffer (it didn't end in \n) and then it just hangs. When I C-c I get:
[Switching to thread 900.0x3f4]
0x77ec7fb0 in _libkernel32_a_iname ()
(gdb) Quit
(gdb) _