Re: tar wildcard problem

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002, Wai-Yip Tung (wtung) wrote:

> I got some problem using tar.
>
> * wildcard in -T doesn't work. If I include *.txt in the file list I got
>
>   tar: *.txt: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
>
> However using *.txt in command line do work. Putting exact file name or
> directory in the file list also works.
>
> * wildcard in -X file doesn't work. However, if I use it in --exclude it
> does work. Putting exact file name doesn't work either. So -X does
> nothing for me.
>
> The version information is
>
> tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25
> This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
> You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public
> License;
> see the file named COPYING for details.
> Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.
>
> Hope you can give me some suggestion.
> Thank you,
> Wai yip Tung

Wai,
Did you escape or quote the wildcards appropriately, so that tar expands
them instead of the shell?
	Igor
P.S. When asking a new question, it's usually better to start a new
thread, rather than replying to an old one, otherwise people with threaded
mail readers may not notice your query.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune