tar wildcard problem

I got some problem using tar.

* wildcard in -T doesn't work. If I include *.txt in the file list I got

  tar: *.txt: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

However using *.txt in command line do work. Putting exact file name or
directory in the file list also works.

* wildcard in -X file doesn't work. However, if I use it in --exclude it
does work. Putting exact file name doesn't work either. So -X does
nothing for me.

The version information is

tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25
This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public
License;
see the file named COPYING for details.
Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.

Hope you can give me some suggestion.

Thank you,

Wai yip Tung