emacs and mice, that is linux curses control of ssh and rxvt terminal

I have a slow connection to a remote machine.

I can use X to connect to it, but I would prefer to:

rxvt
ssh to the machine
emacs -nw

And this works pretty well.  But there is no mouse control.

(If it matters, on the linux target, I am running the gpm service.)

Is it possible to get a working mouse in a terminal emacs window?  I
would like to cut and paste, but actually more important for my fingers
for some reason, is the ability to drag the emacs window borders to
shrink and enlarge one emacs window relative to another (as in
shrink-window-horizontally).

Is this possible?
What does it take on the Linux side?
What does it take on the Cygwin side?

(And I did try google, the faq, and a search of the mailing list archives.)

Thanks for your time,

Jerry Asher