Re: rxvt, once again...

On Monday, Dec 23, 2002, at 11:58 Europe/Lisbon, Chris Game wrote:
That's interesting, but what's the advantage of rxvt over opening
cygwin/bash in a Windows command window, where all the formatting
options (except initial placement I grant you) are available from the
prompt window properties?
The main of rxvt advantage for someone who uses Unix terminals extensively is a fully dynamic, resizable terminal window - something the built-in W2K/XP prompt cannot provide. And I mean "resizable" as in height _and_ width.

There are others, of course (like X-like copy-and-paste with select and shift-click, better scrollback buffer handling, and better terminal emulation).

Most Unix folk that use Cygwin will set up rxvt as their default console (I even have a shell script to launch a tiled set of rxvts with console, Apache and PHP logs), and most of the people I know use the fixed font set found at http://www.aliveonline.com/homesite/fonts/dm_1fixfont.zip (which duplicates a few of the X "fixed" bitmap fonts precisely).

With those, Cygwin looks and feels a lot more like Unix. It all boils down to personal preference, of course, but I would suggest people give rxvt a whirl. Bear with it - it grows on you after a while.

R.