Re: sshd and launching e.g. word.exe - no GUI screen shows up

At 09:56 PM 12/21/2002, Peter Valdemar Mørch wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I log in fine, and get my prompt and everyting. sshd rocks!
>
>I'm trying to do e.g.:
>me@othermachine :> ssh winmachine word.sh some.doc
>And have the word GUI appear on the machine it is actually running. I'm
>aware, of course that X-forwarding wont work....
>
>Here word.sh contains:
>/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Office/Office/WINWORD.exe "$@"
>
>When I do this, WINWORD.EXE sits around in the "Windows Task Manager", and
>the terminal does not return to the prompt, but the Word window does not
>appear either. The same seems to happen with notepad, acdsee, gvim, and
>other windows apps.
>
>Another experiment: I run word.sh from a cygwin terminal, it comes up fine.
>I close it. Then I do "ssh localhost" and log in. I get a prompt that is
>exactly like it was before the ssh localhost. If I then run word.sh, it
>likewise does not appear.
>
>What is the reason for this? Is it possible to lauch windows programs (with
>actual "windows") from another host via ssh / sshd? I'd love to be able to
>launch word, acdsee etc. when bashing away at my Linux dirs...
>
>/var/log/sshd.log is empty.
>I tried 'UsePrivilegeSeparation no' in /etc/sshd_config => no effect
>
>Any help appreciated!

Services don't allow interaction with the desktop by default.  Go to
Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services->CYGWIN sshd->Properties.
Click the "Log On" tab and the "Allow service to interact with desktop".
This works on W2K.  I'm not aware of something similar on XP Home.  NT 4
and XP Pro probably have a different way of doing it.  For 9x/Me, why
bother! ;-)