Re: rxvt, once again...

Svartsjel,

I like to launch things via Windows shortcuts where ever possible. Windows shortcuts that target executables have some of the characteristics of scripts in that you can program not only the executable to invoke, but most notably its arguments, initial working directory and window size and position. For character sub-system programs (also know as console application or CLI--command line interface--programs) you can also control the window colors and font.

So, create a Windows shortcut by right-dragging your RXVT executable icon to some new location (start with the desktop; when you're done, put it in the Start menu or the QuickLaunch bar, e.g.). Now open the properties dialog for the shortcut. In the "Shortcut" tab you can control the arguments (set window size and position here using usual X Window -g / -geometry option) and any other RXVT options you like (font, scrollback, colors, etc.). Here's what I use:

D:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -g 110x89+485+-1 -bg #dddddd -fg #000000 -fn "Lucida ConsoleP-11" -sr -sl 5000 -tn rxvt -vb -e /bin/bash --login -i

I set the initial working directory ("Start in:" field) to my Cygwin home directory (using Windows path name notation, of course).

I should point out that RXVT is an odd case: it appears to Windows to be a character subsystem executable (even though it ends up creating a GUI window), so Properties dialogs for shortcuts that target this executable include the "Font" and "Layout" tabs even though they have no effect on the RXVT window that will result. Use RXVT options to control this as mentioned above. For other Cygwin apps (BASH, e.g.) you'd naturally use the settings in these tabs to control the corresponding appearance characteristics.

Randall Schulz