Re: permission denied for NTFS network shares

Unix/Linux systems are much more secure then NT but they do allow RSH
without password (using .rhosts).

Are you saying that there is no way whatsoever to have RSH without passwords? I need it for running scripts/programs on different NT machines. Interactive behaviour (login/password) will not allow that since you can't hardcode your passwords in scripts.

Thanks
Genady

>Chris January wrote:
> Have you ever heard anyone say NFS is insecure? One of the reasons for this
> is that lots of systems are setup so that if I am root on my local machine,
> the NFS server assumes I can access root's files on the remote machine...
> Windows NT domains, however, are supposed not to suffer from the same
> problem. This is because, in order to access a share, you must be
> authenticated by the domain server. The only way to authenticate with the
> domain server is to log on with your username and password. Simply rsh'ing
> to a machine isn't enough, the domain controller will not trust you. Hence
> you will not have access to any network shares as it won't believe who you
> say you are.
>
> Chris

I have some problem using rsh under cygwin.
It works fine for local disks and local disks of remote computers
(both UNIX and NT/2000).

But if I am trying to access NTFS network share (that is on file
server), I receive "permission denied".

Here is an example:

From unix machine:
==========
> rsh genadyv ------- (genadyv is Window2000 machine with cygwin)
Fanfare!!!
You are successfully logged in to this server!!!

genadyv@GENADYV ~
$ ls -d //mystisun8/vol1/tmp             --------- unix machine
//mystisun8/vol1/tmp

genadyv@GENADYV ~
$ ls -d /cygdrive/c/                   -------- local disk C
/cygdrive/c

genadyv@GENADYV ~
$ ls -d /cygdrive/m/                 ----- network share on file server
ls: /cygdrive/m: Permission denied

genadyv@GENADYV ~
$ ls /cygdrive
c  d  g  m  p  x  y

I have no problem accessing /cygdrive/m/ from bash prompt in cygwin
(locally).
/cygdrive/m is a mount to //mystifile/mixsig$

Any help is appreciated