RE: Mysterious FTP failure

After a bit of investigation - I've narrowed down some of the parameters of
the problem.
First of all the problem appears to exist only on NT4.0 - not W2K. Second,
it only exists if one first
telnets to the NT4.0 box and THEN invokes ftp and sends a file. If I use
ftp from a LOCAL
bash shell, the file transfers just fine. (The problem also exists it one
telnets to the box FROM
the box - i.e. - a remote connection is NOT necessary).

Furthermore, my memory indeed failed me. I did upgrade to the latest
version of cygwin,
cygwin dll's, and inetutils since the time I last had this working - about
a month or so ago.
Prior to that I had not upgraded for about four or five months (or more).
SO THERE WAS A
CHANGE ON MY NT BOX - AND THE CHANGE WAS A NEW VERSION OF CYGWIN AND
INETUTILS. What threw me off, was the fact that I had not attempted to ftp
FROM A REMOTE
CONNECTION since the upgrade. All the ftp's I did, I did from a local bash
shell - which works
just fine.

Of course none of this "proves" that the problem lies with new cygwin code.
If anyone running
NT 4.0 SP 6 could try to recreate the problem as described above - that
would be a big help.

Brian Kelly

> RE: Mysterious FTP failure
> From: "lhall at pop dot ma dot ultranet dot com" <lhall at pop dot ma dot ultranet dot com>
> To: reedfish at ix dot netcom dot com, cygwin at cygwin dot com
> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:34:48 -0500
> Subject: RE: Mysterious FTP failure

> I'm guessing that you're stuck debugging this one.  I don't think
> someone else is going to be able to guess what changed on your
> system to cause this problem to surface for you (though maybe I'm
> wrong).  I expect the most direct route to discover more details
> about the problem and an eventual solution would be to run a
> debug version of ftp in gdb and see what happens.   This should at
> least narrow down the possibilities to a reasonable size and give
> the list some details to cogitate, assuming the results don't
> automatically point you to a solution yourself.

> Good luck,

> Larry

"Empire Health Choice Inc." made the following
 annotations on 12/21/2002 10:04:00 AM

[INFO] -- Access Manager:
Attention!  This electronic message contains information that may be legally confidential and/or privileged.  The information is intended solely for the individual or entity named above and access by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and delete it. Release/Disclosure Statement