Re: Reinstall - oops..

Well, Im not sure whats going on.  Installing the libiconv2 package worked
for that error, but why is it looking for it??  I never installed that one
in the first place.  Below is the bash -x -l output and the >ERR_MSG< is
where the error occured

------------
$ bash -x -l
+
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/cygdrive/c/W
IN
NT2/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINNT2:/cygdrive/c/WINNT2/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c
/Pro
gram Files/Microsoft SQL Server/80/Tools/BINN:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/Common F
iles/Adaptec Shared/System
++ id -un
>ERR_MSG<
+ USER=
+ '[' -z /home/USERNAME ']'
+ '[' '!' -d /home/USERNAME ']'
+ mkdir -p /home/USERNAME
bash: mkdir: command not found
+ export HOME USER
+ '[' -f /etc/profile.d/openssl.sh ']'
+ . /etc/profile.d/openssl.sh
++ export MANPATH=:/usr/ssl/man:/usr/ssl/man
++ MANPATH=:/usr/ssl/man:/usr/ssl/man
+ export MAKE_MODE=unix
+ MAKE_MODE=unix
+ export 'PS1=\[\033]0;\w\007
\033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
$ '
+ PS1=\[\033]0;\w\007
\033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
$
+ cd /home/USERNAME
bash: cd: /home/USERNAME: No such file or directory
------------

So it was breaking on ID...  after the lib install it worked fine....
------------
USERNAME@ROADRUNNER /usr/bin
$ bash -x -l
+
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/cygdrive/c/W
IN
NT2/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINNT2:/cygdrive/c/WINNT2/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c
/Pro
gram Files/Microsoft SQL Server/80/Tools/BINN:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/Common F
iles/Adaptec Shared/System
++ id -un
+ USER=USERNAME
+ '[' -z /home/USERNAME ']'
+ '[' '!' -d /home/USERNAME ']'
+ mkdir -p /home/USERNAME
bash: mkdir: command not found
+ export HOME USER
+ '[' -f /etc/profile.d/openssl.sh ']'
+ . /etc/profile.d/openssl.sh
++ export MANPATH=:/usr/ssl/man:/usr/ssl/man
++ MANPATH=:/usr/ssl/man:/usr/ssl/man
+ export MAKE_MODE=unix
+ MAKE_MODE=unix
+ export 'PS1=\[\033]0;\w\007
\033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
$ '
+ PS1=\[\033]0;\w\007
\033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
$
+ cd /home/USERNAME
bash: cd: /home/USERNAME: No such file or directory
------------

Note though that the new home directory was not created.  I noticed that
/usr/bin was not recreated in the new install. and trying to start tcsh i
get an error on cygcurses6.dll now, which i could not find on that package
page.

So what gives here, why wasnt the complete delete and reinstall not
installing the core components???  and what was not deleted that needs to
be?

Anyway, I am going to try and remove everything again, download everything
fresh and try a reinstall again.  Comments or any insight would be nice.

thanks...

~ Terry
757 581-5981
AIM/Yahoo: lv2bounce