Re: Cygwin official logo ?

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Gerald S. Williams wrote:

> [snip]
> If cgf wants an otter, we should be looking into how to get a good
> drawing of one.  Preferably a mean one, I guess. :-) I suppose we can
> give it sunglasses at least. Or have it smashing through a window
> carrying twin machine-guns. :-) :-)

Hmmm, I have a feeling I'm opening a whole new can of worms by returning
to this old discussion, but I bought this really cool-looking stone
figurine of an otter recently.  I've found a site that sells them on the
internet, just so people have an idea of what it looks like:
http://www.funcollections.com/second/otters.html (for the record, I have
the one called Oprah; it looks much cuter "in person" :-D).

Now the question I have is simple: I know the otter itself is copyrighted
artwork, but what about the photographs?  Does the copyright belong to the
artist, or to whomever took the photograph?  In other words, if I snapped
a picture of that otter, could we use it?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune