From: Mikhail Teterin mi@corbulon.video-collage.com
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:25:34 -0500 (EST)
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: /etc/inetd.conf: No such file or directory

Hi!

I'm struggling with the fresh install of CygWin on two machines.

If I install the inetd as a service, it logs the following at startup
time:

	/etc/inetd.conf: No such file or directory.

rejecting all connections afterwards.

However, the file most certainly IS present, and if ``inetd -d'' is started
from the bash window, the connections are possible. What's up?

Running iu-config generated /etc/ftpusers, ftpwelcom, shells, and motd.
I told to not overwrite /etc/inetd.conf.

This machine previously had a Cygwin installation in another (non-standard)
directory. Could there be a lingering registry setting somewhere, which
causes inetd.exe to look in the wrong place when started as a servics? Why
would this not be documented?

The following paragraph from the inetutils's README:

	- No user mount point is valid anymore! You have to install all
	  your mount points in the system mount table. This doesn't
	  change after you have logged in to a normal user account eg.
	  via telnet/rlogin. [...]

MAKES NO SENSE whatsoever. Perhaps, it should make sense to someone,
who's used earlier CygWin releases, but to a new user, it is worse than
not helpful.

	-mi