From: "Bruce Dobrin" <dobrin@imageworks.com>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: inetd telnet slowness
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 14:02:08 -0700
<snipped>

I wrote about a month ago with this problem,  but didn't manage to work out
a viable solution.

If I stop inetd and run "in.telnetd -debug"  All is well.  It appears to
capture the machine/user correctly and  I am imediately logged in (bypassing
the login/passwd prompt).

With inetd running, telnet starts,  then hangs for about 3 minutes,  finaly
ginving me a "Login:" prompt.  I assume that Inetd didn't pass usable
machine/user information to the in.telnetd,  and that the delay and eventual
"login:" prompt is in.telnetd  timing out waiting for  login information,
but I could be wrong about this.  Rlogind works fine with inetd,  and I
assume it uses a similar validation mechanism.   I'd appreciate any
assistance.

The diff of the Debug logs with and without inetd:

with inetd:
- -------------cut--------------
td: send suboption NEW-ENVIRON SEND
td: send suboption TERMINAL-TYPE SEND
td: ttloop
td: netflush 249 chars
td: ttloop read 73 chars
td: netflush 26 chars
td: recv suboption NAWS 0 80 (80) 0 25 (25)
- -------------cut----------------
........XON VARIABLE|ACK 17; XOFF VARIABLE|ACK 19; FORW1 VARIABLE|ACK 0;
FORW2 VARIABLE|ACK 0;
td: netflush 404 chars
td: Entering processing loop
#####
##right here is where it hangs for 3 minutes}
#####
CYGWIN_NT-5.0 1.3.12(0.54/3/2) (genevieve) (tty2)
td: netflush 84 chars
td: netread 9 chars
td: recv do ECHO
td: recv will BINARY
td: recv wont LINEMODE
td: netflush 85 chars
login: td: netflush 7 chars
- -------------cut----------------

Without inetd:
- -------------cut----------------
td: send suboption NEW-ENVIRON SEND
td: send suboption TERMINAL-TYPE SEND
td: ttloop
td: netflush 249 chars
td: ttloop read 131 chars
td: netflush 27 chars
td: recv suboption NAWS 0 80 (80) 0 25 (25)
- -------------cut----------------
.......XON VARIABLE|ACK 17; XOFF VARIABLE|ACK 19; FORW1 VARIABLE|ACK 0; FORW2
VARIABLE|ACK 0;
td: netflush 404 chars
td: Entering processing loop
td: netflush 30 chars
td: netread 9 chars
td: recv do ECHO
td: recv will BINARY
td: recv wont LINEMODE
td: netflush 85 chars
Fanfare!!!
You are successfully logged in to this server!!!

<snipped>
------- End of Forwarded Message