From: Vince Hoffman Vince.Hoffman@uk.circle.com
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:03:41 -0000
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: RE: ntsec Question

I think your confusion here comes from thinking that Cygwin controls the
user login. Windows handles the login process. To change which user is
logged in you will need to either log off windows then log the new user on,
or use ssh
 Running cygwin.bat does not do anything than start an interactive bash
shell in the logged on users home directory, it does not call login or
perform any checking of the user beyond looking at the output of `id -un`
and changing your working directory to your home directory (well actualy
/etc/profile does that but lets not confuse things ;)
All security is handled by windows. If you set a mode of say 700 froma
bash/tcsh/ksh prompt, its no different than going into windows security
settings for that file from explorer and telling it to only allow your (or a
selected user) access.

In summary you effectively "log on" to cygwin, when you "log on" to windows.
Loging in by cygwin  ssh/rsh/telnet is equivalent to "logging on" to
windows. starting a shell via cygwin.bat or any variation (shortcut to bash
--login -i, rxvt -e bash --login -i, etc etc) is not "loging in" to cygwin.

blimey thats the longest email i've written in weeks. :)