how to use cygwin_attach_handle_to_fd?

Title: Message
Hi,
I am new to cygwin.I am creating a windows named pipe using the normal windows api.
In the cygwin documetation it is said that select call works for file descriptors,handles etc.Can I able to pass this handle directly to a select call?
if no can I use cygwin_attach_handle_to_fd() provided by cygwin to convert it to a file descriptor?
If yes what is the first parameter i need to pass to this method?
Further can i be able to use the descriptor returned by this method in a select call?

Alternatly,is there any way in which i can implement named pipes in cygwin(like fifo's)?