Re: Giving up trying to get Cygwin OpenSSH3.5 to work on Win2000 Pro SP3

Emilio A Icaza <emilio@lsu.edu> wrote:

>> Can somebody help me figure out what can be wrong with this?

I'll try.

>> 1. Installed CYGWIN base and needed packages
>> 2. Installed openssh 3.5p1-2 and requisites
>> 3. Ran ssh-host-config to create keys, sshd user, and service, etc.

Which does work for me... weird.

I have a shot in the dark you might try: set all your mounts to binmode.

>> If I try to connect to the server from localhost, with:
>> $ ssh emilio@localhost -v -v -v

I've read your log. It seems like a socket read is failing for some reason.
I don't understand that. I'm going to explain how to get the *server* debug
output, which might hold a clue:

Install another sshd service like this:
cygrunsrv -I sshd2 -d "CYGWIN sshd DEBUG MODE" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a
"-Dddde" -e "CYGWIN=binmode tty ntsec" -t manual

Note the difference is in the arguments: added -ddde

Now end your current sshd (cygrunsrv -E sshd) to free port 22, and start
this one (cygrunsrv -S sshd2).
Try to log in from localhost. /var/log/sshd2.log will fill with loads of
stuff. Post it.

NB: With a -d option, sshd will die after serving one connection. You will
have to do cygrunsrv -S sshd2 again if you want to run another test.

>> The server /var/log/ssh.log file is empty.

That file is the stdout/stderr of sshd, redirected to a file by cygrunsrv.
You can safely add the -e option to your normal sshd, to get minimal logging
to sshd.log without causing the 'die after every connection' behaviour.

Max.