Emacs: completion of buffer names ignores case

I'm using emacs-21.2-10.

I frequently want to switch to the buffer named `*shell*', so I type

        C-x b * s h e SPC RET

expecting that, since `*shell*' is the only buffer whose name begins
with `*she', the SPC will cause its complete name (`*shell*') to
appear in the minibuffer, and the RET will cause Emacs to switch to
it.  Instead, when there's a buffer named `*Shell Command Output*',
the name doesn't complete fully: after I hit RET, I'm looking at a
brand-new buffer named `*shell'.  This isn't what I wanted :(

It's as if Emacs has decided to ignore case when completing what I've
typed.  Indeed, if I type TAB instead of RET, I see

    Click <mouse-2> on a completion to select it.
    In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

    Possible completions are:
    *Shell Command Output*             *shell*

Now, I can understand that Emacs would ignore case when completing
file names on Windows, since Windows itself doesn't distinguish file
names by case.  But since Emacs does distinguish buffer names by case,
I expect it, when completing buffer names, to ignore a buffer whose
name differs in case from what I've typed.

Is this a bug?

--
PGP Fingerprint: 3E7B A3F3 96CA 8958 ACC5  C8BD 6337 0041 C01C 5276