RE: GCC Include Paths

Vijay, Allan,

Cygwin is similarly limited. All Unix / POSIX systems have such a limit, but Cygwin's limit is much smaller than the typical limit on a Unix (-like) system. I don't know it for a fact, but I'm pretty sure this limit is not imposed by Cygwin itself (why would it?) but is a Windows limitation.

Most of the time "xargs" resolves this, but obviously that's not the case for -I arguments to gcc or in general when the argument overload originates in auxiliary arguments that name file system entities and which must all be present concurrently.

I suggest that you create a separate directory containing links (symbolic links or, if feasible (*), hard links) to all the (required) include files in all the include directories. Then you can side-step the argument list limit.

(*) Hard links are an option (the preferred option, actually) if the file systems are NTFS and the "target" of the link is on the same file system volume as the link. If the latter does not hold, Cygwin will copy the files, so this approach will still work, but you won't be using actual links. Lastly, in keeping with the pedantic theme of which I'm so fond, I put "target" in quotes since hard links are all co-equal and there is no "original" or "target" vs. "link" distinction, just alternate names for the same underlying file.

Good luck.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA