GCC Include Paths

Help,

We're trying to make GCC automatically search for required header
files, unforunately if we use the C_INCLUDE_PATH environment variable or
-I you need to enter every single search directory. For our current
project this results in a line over 2000chars long (too long for windows
or GCC to handle. Can we somehow tell GCC to search subfolders or is
there some other way to do this???

thanks,
Allan.